Many of our techniques address “Speaking well as you think on your feet,” and we also have advice for speaking while sitting.
You will be required to speak sitting down at times throughout your career, of course. Whether engaged in a group practice meeting, a client meeting, or presenting on a panel in front of microphones, take care that you think about your body position as you sit, just as you do while standing on your feet.
Here are some simple rules for speaking while sitting as presented in The Articulate Attorney: Public Speaking for Lawyers:
• Lengthen your spine. Sit up straight and do not slouch.
• Place both feet on the floor.
• Sit on the edge of your seat while speaking.
• Do not lean forward, resting your weight on your elbows.
• Liberate your gestures, and be aware the zone of gesture may be