As you teach your students what to think and say in court, our resources instruct them how to say it – persuasively. Instructional videos are free with course adoption of the book!
by Brian K. Johnson and Marsha Hunter
The Articulate Advocate, an illustrated how-to guide, teaches lawyers how to speak persuasively and spontaneously in court. Johnson & Hunter’s innovative techniques are based on more than 35 years of experience coaching practitioners. They use cutting-edge discoveries in linguistics, human factors, neuroscience, gesture studies, and cognitive and sports psychology to help advocates look, sound, and feel natural and polished in court. While the first edition focused on trial lawyers, this second edition is expanded to include jury and bench trials, motions, appeals, and arbitrations.
Paperback (978-1-939506-03-0): $24.99, Hard cover (978-1-939506-07-8): $49.95
All digital formats: $15.99
The Articulate Advocate provides immediately useful techniques to:
- Channel that initial adrenaline buzz.
- Grab and hold the fact finder’s attention.
- Gesture while speaking, showing while telling.
- Speak in phrases and control your pace.
- Interact effortlessly with electronic evidence.
- Plan to forget, then recover with confidence.
- Practice productively to be primed to perform.
Praise for The Articulate Advocate, Second Edition
AALL Spectrum Blog Review (April 2016)
Dallas Bar Association Blog (March 2016)
Suggested Uses of The Articulate Advocate for Advocacy Teachers and Legal Trainers
How Our Students Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love Public Speaking by Jay Leach & Cary Bricker, Professors of Law, University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
College bookstores can order this book through Independent Publishers Group (800-888-4741, firstname.lastname@example.org), Baker & Taylor, and other wholesalers. Contact the publisher, Crown King Books with questions.
Individual copies can be ordered through your local independent bookstore, most online retailers, or by clicking the link below.
Receive free access to more than two hours of video instruction to share with your students when you require one of our books for your course!
When you require The Articulate Advocate, you receive access to the video series Courtroom Communications Skills That Give You the Edge. This series includes the following programs (click the program title to view a clip):
- Finding Your Style: A Lesson in Persuasion
- Channeling Adrenaline for a Greater Presence in the Courtroom
- What to Do with Your Hands is More Important Than You Think in the Courtroom
- Mastering the Art of Thinking, Structuring, Remembering in the Courtroom
- Tools for Speaking Persuasively in the Courtroom
- Win Your Case: The Importance of Practicing
The Articulate Advocate
The Articulate Attorney
The Articulate Witness